Sunday, 3 August 2008

For Your Culinary 'Pleasure' - Snack food in the USA Part 1

Part of my trip (ie. tour of duty) thus far has been to sample as many 'American' treats as possible for the good of New Zealand. This is a patriotic duty I am willing-nay compelled-to carry out. I think not of myself, but of the millions of New Zealander's back home, or caught up with me on the front lines.

So without further ado a summary (part 1):
1. Twinkie
The classic 'cream' filled 'sponge'. Amazingly classed as food, although nothing consumed will assist your metabolism.
2. Snowball
Coconut covered, marshmallow covered, cake covered, cream. If you can figure that out then you will know never to eat a Snowball.
3. Grandma's Cookie (a biscuit in New Zealand)
This was a back-up in case the Snowball failed to deliver. Bad idea. Choose a Cookie-Time every time.
4. S'more
The classic American camping treat, two Graham crackers (sort of digestives) with chocolate and roasted marshmallow inside. Admittedly the technique of assembly requires a bit of practice so while mine wasn't a success, I think more research is required
5. Twizzlers
Strawberry licorice. Less appetising than the plastic packaging it comes in.
6. York
Not a place in the UK. A bigger version of the after dinner mint. Quite acceptable.
7. Key Lime Pie
I had no idea what this would be; turns out it's a lime flavoured cheesecake. Excellent.
8. Dorittos
Corn chips, with various flavours. Chips are good.
9. Babe Ruth
A chocolate bar with nuts. Almost identical to a Snickers bar (which is also sold in USA), so take your pick.
10. Iced Tea
The unflavoured version tastes like, well, cold tea (no sugar or milk). The flavoured versions can be very refreshing, I particularly like the peach teas.

You may notice a lack of peanut butter flavoured goods. This is deliberate as I can't imagine anything worse (and I can eat marmite off the spoon).

Tomorrow I get to try Angel Food Cake and hope the feathers don't get caught in my throat.
Tune in for part 2.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Heh. Now that's the kind of post I was looking forward to. Those are some crazy foods. Couldn't agree more, key lime pie is lovely.